Verified Reviewer

2.0

I am a British expat who lived in the Philippines for eight years. In 2018 I left the country just a few months after opening a new account for Globe Home Broadband.

As the account was subject to a two-year tie-in, and being a good, honest customer, I continued with my payment obligations for the remainder of that contractual period, even though that meant that for 18 months, I was paying for a service that was no longer of any use to me.

The tie-in recently expired, and now, as I expected (having plenty of experience of trying to disconnect accounts with Globe and PLDT during my eight years in the Philippines) Globe is, of course, making it extremely difficult for me to arrange disconnection.

For a so-called communications company, their communication capabilities are appalling.

No agents to answer any phone calls (just automation), no email address through which customers can contact them, and no simple online chat facility to use via their apps.

No, if you want to talk to Globe, you have to have a Facebook or Twitter account. Thank you, but I'm not into social media, and I don't want to join Facebook just to talk to my telecoms provider.

Therefore, I have had to communicate with them using my wife's Facebook messenger. Via that channel, I have to go round in circles, answering the same questions over and over, like: "What is your email address" (they send their bills to it so they already have it),

"What is the installation address?" (It's the one on the bills they send, so they already have it),

"Would you like to downgrade your account?" (No, I don't live in the Philippines, so Globe is no longer of any use to me).

How ridiculous!... And then they tell me that they must be able to access the property where the modem is installed, to retrieve it.

Having disconnected with both Globe and PLDT previously, I know for a fact that their technicians never visit terminating customers to uninstall their equipment.

Good luck with that as I've been out of the country for nearly two years, and I only rented my home there.

Oh!... and then they keep telling me, via my wife's Facebook, that I can arrange disconnection more easily through the Globe One or Globe at Home app. That's funny, because the only possible option offered by the app, is to... Yes, you guessed it...

chat with Gie (or whatever the fake name is) via Facebook messenger.

The saga continues, confirming what I already know... That Globe's communication capabilities are at a level surpassed by most businesses back in the 1990s. That's hilarious given the sector in which they "operate".

Of course, it's all with good reason. After all, as they are granted a virtual monopoly in the Philippines, with little if no competition allowed, they don't want to offer customers straightforward options to do anything that doesn't involve paying overinflated prices for an internet service that would have been reasonable, at best, at the turn of the century.

Yes, go with Globe if you want easy ways to part with your money, but god forbid that you should want any semblance of customer assistance, or especially to dare to create the cardinal sin of becoming an ex-customer.

Even moving thousands of miles away to a different hemisphere would appear not to be a fair reason to expect a simple process to close an account.

My only regret is that I didn't just stop paying my monthly bills as soon as I left the country, in spite of the two-year contractual tie-in. It would have been easy, but I believe in honoring my commitments.

Unfortunately, Globe is in the enviable position of being free to disregard theirs, and to be the communications company that can't communicate.

Would I recommend them to consumers as a service provider? If you want the answer, read the above once more.

User's recommendation: You don't have much choice in the Philippines, but avoid if you possibly can.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Globe Telecom Pros: Easy to pay.

Globe Telecom Cons: Dont like customers to defect.

Comments